Jen Taylor

Southwest Tech changed my life not once, not twice, but three times. By the time I was a junior in high school I had two kids. Needless to say being in high school with two kids and not very well liked (a lot my own fault) made me feel like high school was no longer an option for me. So, I enrolled at Southwest Tech to earn my HSED because I did not want to be a drop out and send the message to my kids, that quitting was an option. For a few years after receiving my HSED I had odd jobs and bartended.

I knew I wanted to further my education but I wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted to do. I knew that I wanted to show my kids the importance of an education and how it can change your life. I chose to come to Southwest Tech in 2005 for the second time, enrolling in the Office Aide Certificate program. I enjoyed it so much that I continued on to the Administrative Assistant program and graduated with my Associate’s degree in 2008.

I have never felt more welcomed and encouraged to be as great as I could be while a student at Southwest Tech. I had some of the best instructors who were also great role models and mentors. The instructors made an amazing impact on my life, and I carry much of what they taught me with me today.

Years after graduating I applied for a position at Southwest Tech two times and wasn’t hired either time. In 2014 another job was posted and I worked harder than I previously had in the past because I knew I wanted to work to help others. I finally had an interview and weeks later I found out I got the job. I was beyond excited to work at the place that has always been there for me and ultimately changed my life 17 years ago. I have been working at Southwest Tech for three years and I can only hope that I am making a positive difference in students’ lives because that is my goal every day I walk through those front doors.