LTC offers its Pharmacy Technician program in cooperation with technical colleges across the state. As a pharmacy technician student, you'll attend live, interactive TV classes sent from LTC to Southwest Tech; receive laboratory training in local pharmacies; participate in real-world, hands-on training during a 4-week clinical program; and take general studies classes at Southwest Tech.
If you are planning to apply for financial aid, you will need to select LTC as the college you will be attending, even though you will be taking classes on the Southwest Tech campus. You can apply online now at Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Use LTC's financial aid code of 009194 when applying.
Is This Occupation for You?
If you are attentive to detail, organized, a good communicator, and like math, science, and working with people, a career as a pharmacy technician may be your prescription for success.
View detailed course curriculum and other program information.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Package and label drugs for prescription dispensing.
- Prepare and deliver unit dose drugs to the nursing services of hospitals or nursing homes.
- Prepare parenteral admixtures under aseptic and sterile conditions.
- Receive and inventory drug shipments.
- Maintain records, including patient profiles.
- Facilitate communications for third-party reimbursement.
- Compound solutions, ointments, lotions, suppositories, and other medications.
- Comprehend and utilize medical and drug terminology common to the pharmaceutical environment.
- Practice ethical standards and recognize legal implications of your actions as they relate to yourself, the pharmacist, and the pharmacy.
Career and Education Advancement Opportunities
LTC credits transfer to over 30 Universities. For more information contact your advisor or visit http://gotoltc.edu/future-students/transfer/transfer-to-a-4-year-college/transfer-opportunities/index.html