Is This Program for You?
If you work well under stress, get along with individuals of many different backgrounds, and are ready for a job in the constantly evolving food service industry, then this may be the ideal program for you.
Students entering the Culinary Specialist program should:
- Desire a good paying job in quantity food production.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Apply creative thinking skills.
- Possess above average reading and math skills.
- Display excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Technical diploma requiring one year or more to complete.
- Daytime classes.
- Financial aid available for students who qualify.
- Special equipment and uniforms required.
- Students must achieve a grade of C or better grade in all technical core (317) courses to graduate.
- Students must be 18 years old to operate selected kitchen equipment.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Practice commercial food preparation skills required in full-service restaurants, hotels and country clubs.
- Practice institutional food preparation skills required for hospitals, retirement communities, school systems, factories and other industrial food service operations.
- Evaluate quality factors in food.
- Operate, clean and maintain commercial kitchen equipment.
- Practice effective math and communications skills.
The food service industry is the #1 retail employer in the United States. Demand for well-trained culinary staff is at an all-time high. Graduates are qualified for a non-management cook or chef position on a food production and service team.