Students applying for admission to Southwest Tech's associate degree and technical diploma programs (EXCEPT: Nursing - Associate Degree, Medical Lab Technician, Physical Therapist Assistant, Liberal Arts, and Certified Nursing Assistant) may be required to take the ACT Compass to assist in appropriate course placement.
ACT Compass - Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to take the ACT Compass?
- Students that have earned a Bachelor's Degree, previously completed a program at Southwest Tech, or have other test scores within the last 5 years (ACT, ASSET or TABE) do not need to complete the ACT Compass. Students with ACT scores should check the Southwest Tech Placement Guide to see if program requirements have been met. Please contact the Testing Center with further questions.
- What does the test cover and can I prepare for the test?
- ACT Compass is a computerized test consisting of three parts; reading, writing, and math. More information about the test and sample questions can be found at http://www.act.org/compass/student/index.html
- How long does the testing take?
- The ACT Compass has a four hour time limit. Students are encouraged to take their time in completing each section. Typically it takes 2 hours to complete.
- Is there a charge for testing?
- ACT Compass is $15 for the full test and $15 for a retest on any portion(s).
- Do I need to bring anything for testing?
- A valid photo I.D. is required for testing. Pencils, scratch paper, and calculators are furnished for testing.
- When will I find out what my test scores are?
- Students will receive their ACT Compass test results and a copy of their score report, immediately upon completion of testing. The report will be reviewed with an advisor at a later date.
- What do my scores mean?
- Placement at Southwest Tech is based on the level of the program, Associate Degree or Technical Diploma. College prep courses will be recommended for students that do not meet the following guidelines.
Reading Writing Math Associate Degree 80 55 50 Technical Diploma 62 38 41
- Can I retest on the ACT Compass?
- Students can retest once per calendar year, not within 30 days of the original test.
- What if I need accommodations for testing?
- Students with disabilities, who need accommodations, should contact the office of the Support Services Specialist, Building 100, Room 108, 608.822.2631, TTY/TDD 608.822.2072, or e-mail email@example.com.
- What if I need to take a placement test, but do not live close to campus?
- Contact the Testing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608.822.2313 to make arrangements for testing at a location closer to you.