The Southwest Tech 520-hour summer Law Enforcement Academy is designed for those seeking a law enforcement career in the State of Wisconsin. The instruction meets the criteria established by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, Training and Standards Bureau.
Training is delivered via lecture, group discussion, hands-on exercises, and scenario participation. The training instructors are a combination of educators and active or retired law enforcement officers. All instructors meet certification standards established by the Training and Standards Board.
- Proof of High School graduation or GED/HSED completion
- Be at least 18 years of age and a United States citizen
- Have 60 college credits from an accredited college or university
- Possess a valid Wisconsin driver's license
- Complete the entrance requirements of training and standards
- Complete application and pay $30 non-refundable application fee
- Set up MySWTC account
- Submit transcripts (high school or GED/HSED and college)
- Meet with Academy Advisor
- Register for classes and attend Academy orientation
- NOTE: A conviction for a felony, domestic related offense, or certain misdemeanors will prevent admission to the academy.
The Application Process Requires:
- A proof of a valid driver's license
- A certified copy of your birth certificate
- A copy of your college transcripts and high school diploma
- Completion of the DJ-LE-327 Application For Enrollment Form
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (birth certificate)
- Southwest Tech Application with $30 fee
- DJ-LE-332 Physician's Assessment Form provided to the academy director, at your own expense
- Firearms release
Please contact Kris Wubben, the Southwest Tech Criminal Justice Coordinator, for an application packet. Applications are due mid-February for the next summer session. Contact the coordinator for exact deadlines.
NOTE: The following are the tuition rates for 2013. New rates for the 2014 year are not set until April. We will update this page with actual costs as soon as we receive the information.The estimated cost for academy attendance is $2,900.00. This would include tuition for the following:
- Policing in America (1 credit)
- The Legal Context (2 credits)
- Tactical Skills (3 credits)
- Relational Skills (3 credits)
- Patrol Procedures (4 credits)
- Investigations (2 credits)
- Emergency Medical Services (1 credit)
- State established fee for scenario test week ($600.00)
- Duty belt with all necessary gear
- Inert OC
- Glock 4th generation 9mm firearm
- Ballistic vest
Students will need to purchase uniforms and other minor supplies.
Food and Lodging
NOTE: The Wisconsin Technical College curriculum and requirements for Law Enforcement Academy are being revised and updated, and will take effect with Fall 2014 program enrollees.