News Release

For Immediate Release

Contact: Katie Glass, Marketing Manager and Public Information Officer
Phone: 608.822.2411
Email: kglass@swtc.edu
Mail: 1800 Bronson Blvd., Fennimore, WI 53809
Date: October 11, 2019

Small Fire Causes Evacuation on Campus

Fennimore -

Contact: Dennis Cooley, Public Information Officer, 608.822.2747, dcooley@swtc.edu
Update:

UPDATE: Friday, Oct. 11, 2019, 10:13 a.m. CST

(Note: Additional information on cafeteria and dining area closing, carbon monoxide testing)

FENNIMORE – A small fire originating in a dryer in the Building 400 loading dock area on the Southwest Wisconsin Technical College campus has caused an evacuation of the area in the building until 10 a.m. Friday.

College officials are monitoring the situation.

The areas affected are the cafeteria, bookstore, Knox Learning Center, and Lenz Center. These areas are closed until 10 a.m. as officials work to mitigate the lingering smell caused by the fire. The damage was limited to the immediate area around the dryer.

The college closed the cafeteria and adjacent dining area on Friday, Oct. 11, for clean-up from the smoke damage. The bookstore, Knox Learning Center, and Lenz Center are open, and campus officials are regularly monitoring safety. The area around the food service area is closed off and isolated to mitigate the smell and limit the spreading of any particulate residue from the smoke.

Charley’s is the designated alternative location for the dining services area.

The air quality was tested, and levels are reporting as normal, college emergency personnel have reported. Carbon monoxide tests were conducted by qualified personnel, and all readings show no sign of carbon monoxide in the air, especially in the areas adjacent to the fire. The college will continue monitoring the air quality. The smell is expected to linger most of the day but is not a safety concern.

Fennimore Fire and Rescue were called to the scene, helped mitigate the situation, and turned the matter over to college emergency personnel for further evaluation and mitigation.
As more information becomes available, college officials will update the public.

All classes are on schedule and functional.

—————————————————————————————————————————-

Contact: Dennis Cooley, Public Information Officer, 608.822.2747, dcooley@swtc.edu

A small fire originating in a dryer in the Building 400 loading dock area on the Southwest Wisconsin Technical College campus has caused an evacuation of the area in the building until 10 a.m. Friday.

College officials are monitoring the situation.

The areas affected are the cafeteria, bookstore, Knox Learning Center and Lenz Center. These areas are closed until 10 a.m. as officials work to mitigate the lingering smell caused by the fire. The damage was limited to the immediate area around the dryer.

Air quality was tested and levels were reported as normal, college emergency personnel have reported. The air quality will continue to be monitored. The smell is expected to linger most of the day but is not a safety concern.

Fennimore Fire and Rescue were called to the scene, helped mitigate the situation and turned the matter over to college emergency personnel for further evaluation and mitigation.

As more information becomes available, college officials will update the public.

Posted in Uncategorized