This course is not eligible for financial aid
The Theory portion of this course is Online
Course Start Date: Monday, August 21, 2023
Course End Date: Friday, October 20, 2023
In order to begin this class, all students must attend the MANDATORY orientation session.
Face to Face Orientation Monday, August 21st 4pm to 7pm Room 430. Attendance is MANDATORY. Bring laptop with you to log into Schoology. Theory is online with weekly Zoom reviews on Mondays, 8/28, 9/4, 9/11, 9/18 & 9/25 7pmto 8pm. Zoom reviews are not mandatory to attend but highly encouraged.
Tuesdays, 8/22, 8/29, 9/5 and 9/12 4pm – 8:30pm Rm 2634 OR Wednesdays, 8/23, 8/30, 9/6 and 9/13 4pm – 8:30pm Rm 2634 *Weekday daytime lab possibly available pending student availability
Clinical sites and dates to be determined once the class is started. Clinical will take place between 10/1/23 to 10/20/23. Dates and times CAN be weekday evenings and weekend days or evenings for a total of 27 hours.
Dates and times are subject to change
Clinical will take place between 10/1/23 to 10/20/23. Please sign up for a future class offering if you have other school, work or personal obligations during this timeframe that you cannot reschedule or rearrange.
For Online/Hybrid Students
All students will be required to attend the In-Person orientation which will include an introduction to Schoology – Southwest Tech’s learning management system. The Schoology orientation will give you an idea of what to expect in an online or hybrid course and specifically orient you to the system.
Listed below are some requirements of an online/hybrid student:
- Convenient access to a computer with internet access and the capability of installing the LockDown Respondus Browser and a Webcam. No Chromebooks.
- Frequent use of your college-issued email account
- Word processing software - Microsoft Word is preferred. Microsoft Office is available free to all Southwest Tech Students – go to this website and use your student email address to sign up - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/office.
- Self-motivation and self-discipline
- Ability to manage time to successfully complete required course work – 10 – 15 hours per week could be required for this online or hybrid course.
Students with disabilities, who need accommodations, should contact the office of the Support Services Specialist, Knox Learning Center, (608) 822-2631 or 800-362-3322, Ext. 2631, TTY/TDD (608) 822-2072, or email Disability Services.
Total Course Hours (lecture, lab, and clinical) = 81 Hours
The Nursing Assistant course is regulated by the Department of Health Services - including course content and number of hours. Attendance is mandatory to ensure compliance with the State of Wisconsin requirements for Nursing Assistant training. Students are required to attend ALL 81 hours without exception to complete the course.
Materials needed before first day of class
- Mosby’s Textbook for Nursing Assistants, 10th edition (eBook option available), Mosby’s Nursing Assistant Workbook (optional)
- Chromebooks do not work with Schoology and the Respondus Lockdown Browser required for this course
- 81 Hour Nursing Assistant Basic Student Learning Packet available at SWTC bookstore
- Watch with a second hand
- Shoes: Nonskid, no open toes
- Scrubs required for clinical portion. Comfortable street clothes for lab
- Additional supplies for lab will be explained at orientation
Topics that will be discussed at orientation:
- Nursing Assistant Policies and Procedures
- Course schedule
- Clinical site assignments, days, times, locations, rotations
- Information regarding the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry
*Notice to students under 18 years of age: The U.S. Department of Labor issued a ruling in 2011 that allows only nursing assistants 18 years of age and over to assist and operate client lift devices. Therefore, some nursing homes are choosing to hire only nursing assistants 18+ years of age. Please contact the nursing homes directly if you are under 18 and have questions regarding their hiring policy.
Additional questions may be directed to Nursing Assistant Instructor: