Is This Occupation for You?
Are you passionate about food, and do you have a strong sense of business savvy? Would you like to combine the two for a rewarding career in the food service industry? Culinary Management may be just the career you’ve been searching for.
Students entering the Culinary Management program should:
- Desire a good paying, hospitality management job with a secure future.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Apply creative thinking skills.
- Possess above average reading and math skills.
- Display excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Associate degree, requiring a minimum of two years to complete.
- Day classes.
- Financial aid available.
- Special equipment and uniforms required.
- Advance standing and Pro-Start credits accepted.
- Students must achieve a grade of C in all core (317) courses to progress to the next semester and to graduate. Students must be 18 years old to operate a slicer and a 20-quart mixer.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Manage food service personnel in production and service.
- Plan budgets and analyze food and labor costs using records management.
- Plan, prepare, and market menus.
- Evaluate quality factors in food.
- Operate, clean, and maintain commercial kitchen equipment.
- Comply with food safety and sanitation standards.
- Identify nutrition concepts.
- Practice effective communication, math, and human relations skills.
Graduates are qualified for management positions in many areas of the hospitality industry, including opportunities in hotels, restaurants, casinos, catering, and many more. Graduates will possess skills needed to own and operate their own businesses.