Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders. This training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care.
Date: December 2
Time: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Southwest Tech Health Science Building
Room 3608 (3rd floor)
Onsite training offered
Interested in Mental Health First Aid? We would be glad to work with your company to run a course or add you to our contact list when a session becomes available. Please contact us using the email link below and we'll work with you to arrange an offering convenient for you.
people die by suicide each day.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
From 1999 to 2016,
people died from drug overdose.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1 IN 5 U.S. adults lives with a Mental Illness.
- National Institute of Mental Health via the National Survey on Drug Use and Health and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
What it Covers
- Common signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Common signs and symptoms of substance abuse
- How to interact with a person in crisis
- How to connect the person with help
- Content on trauma, addiction and self-care
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen non-judgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies.
More info about this course at www.swtc.edu/news/press-releases/mental-health-first-aid-training-to-be-offered/.