The Southwest Tech laptop program equips Graphic & Web Design students with a fully configured and supported laptop computer. Our technology package includes the use of a laptop computer, technical support, and the use of SWTC licensed software.
Technology is a primary component for students enrolled in the Graphic & Web Design program. The laptops provide students with the flexibility of working on campus or within the comforts of their own home. With our technology package, the Southwest Tech network and your cloud-based accounts are always within your reach.
No longer do students need to spend long hours and late nights in the computer lab. Now that you have a laptop that makes you mobile, and all the Adobe Software necessary for any design project, you can work anywhere and at any time. With these tools, improving your skills and completing your homework has never been easier.
- Who is Eligible?
All Southwest Tech Graphic & Web Design students (full or part-time status) are automatically enrolled in the laptop program.
- Tools Provided
Students receive all the hardware and software needed for their academic work and residential life, including:
- Laptop – 15-inch MacBook Pro with upgraded memory
- Laptop case
- Apple Care Protection
- Adobe Cloud software
- Microsoft Office software
- Other Department-specific software and software updates
- Classroom printer access
- Loaner laptops if extended repairs or replacement is necessary
- High quality anti-virus and spyware protection
- Opportunity to purchase laptop upon graduation
- Support Provided
Southwest Tech’s Help Desk is staffed with full-time technicians who understand the importance of technology on campus. Tech support offers telephone, e-mail, and walk-in help for technical questions during regular Help Desk hours. The Southwest Tech laptop program offers “café” hours during the week for students wanting software and/or hardware training.
Laptop Program fee is charged each semester. Review the current fees on the Graphic & Web Design program page.
Summers are at no cost if the student continues enrollment at Southwest Tech the following fall semester. See Southwest Tech’s Laptop Agreement for more details.
Where Does Your Money Go?
- 86.8% Hardware: 15-inch MacBook Pro with touch bar and upgraded memory
- 8.5% Apple Care: 2-year Apple Care Protextion
- 2.7% Program Costs: Technical support, un-collectibles
- 1% Software: Microsoft Office for Mac and other applications that are required by Southwest Tech to secure the laptop
- 1% Laptop Case
- Purchase Opportunity
When a student graduates or leaves Southwest Tech, they are eligible to purchase their laptop. The buyout price is determined by the number of semesters that the student participated in the Laptop Program. The buyout is only a penny for those students who have participated in all four semesters of the Laptop Program. Please see the business office for purchase agreement details.
- Academic Status Requirements
As long as a student is attending Southwest Tech he or she can continue to participate in the Laptop Program. When a student graduates or is no longer enrolled at Southwest Tech, he or she has an opportunity to do one of the following:
- Return the computer, components, and accessories to the college's IT department, room 2605, within ten (10) days of any graduation or disenrollment.
- Purchase the computer by completing the college’s computer purchase agreement within ten (10) days of any graduation or disenrollment. Refer to the business office for purchase agreement details.
- Lost, Stolen, and Damaged Devices
Students are responsible for accidental device damages or lost components and may be assessed additional fees as described in Southwest Tech’s Laptop Agreement. Fees are not charged for repairs covered by Apple Care. Fees will be charged for damage such as cracked casings, broken screens and liquid spills. Fees increase incrementally with each incident during the two-year lease period. Students will be charged the exact amount of the repair for minor incidents totaling less than $100.
Students are responsible for the entire replacement cost of a computer, components, or accessories that are lost, stolen, or damaged beyond reasonable repair. Charges will be added to the student’s SWTC account. Students must report theft (or suspected theft) or other loss of the computer within 48 hours to SWTC’s Help Desk and to the police department in the jurisdiction in which the theft or loss is believed to have occurred. Costs are as follows:
- Laptop: $2675
- Power adapter: $100
- Case: $25