Is This Occupation for You?
Caring, organized, and compassionate individuals who work well in a team health care setting may find a rewarding career as a dental assistant. If you're interested in a career that focuses on helping people and offers plenty of variety in the workday, dental assisting is a great choice for you.
Students entering the Dental Assistant program should:
- Have ninth grade reading skills, basic math skills, and good verbal communication skills.
- Be Employable
- Desire to work with people.
- Desire to work as a team member.
- One Semester technical diploma
- This 16-week program includes 12 weeks of classroom and laboratory learning activities, followed by a 4-week externship in a dental clinic.
- Classes run full-time Monday through Friday for 12 weeks.
- The 4-week externship hours are based upon the dental clinic hours as assigned.
- Must earn at least a grade of C in all classroom/laboratory learning settings to be eligible to work under the direct supervision of a dentist in a four-week externship.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Collect diagnostic and treatment data.
- Manage infection and hazard control.
- Perform clinical supportive treatment.
- Take diagnostic radiographs.
- Perform dental laboratory procedures.
- Provide patient oral health instructions.
- Assist in managing medical emergencies.
- Model professional behaviors, ethics and appearance.
- Perform coronal polishing on patients.
This course provides a strong foundation in basic dental assisting. There are job openings for dental assistants in Southwest Wisconsin. More job opportunities are available for graduates willing to relocate to urban areas.
- Receptionist: Works at the front desk and processes invoices, accounts, appointments, and greets patients
- Chair-side Assistant: Assists the dentist with patient care
- Hygiene Instructor: Instructs patients in proper hygiene and tooth care
- Laboratory Assistant: Performs laboratory functions while observing safety
- Hygiene Assistant: Assists the hygienist with tasks
- Dental Sales Representative
- Dental Treatment Coordinator