Completing these courses prepares individuals to take the State of Wisconsin examination to become licensed manicurists.
Nail Technician students will take a state licensing exam to become a Licensed Nail Technician, while state licensing exam for students enrolled in the Cosmetology Program will be certified in Cosmetology Services as well as Nail Technician.
The Nail Technician Technical Diploma offers students a degree in nail services which gives you the knowledge and tools to start as a Licensed Manicurist. Students will learn nail service including: manicuring, pedicuring, nail enhancements, gel polishes, nail art, and spa services.
Note: In order to qualify for licensure for your manicurist state board exam, you must be 18 years of age, have completed a minimum 300 hours of instruction and the requirements of the Southwest Tech Nail Technician Program.
To graduate from this program and be eligible to take the state licensing examination, each student must:
- Successfully meet all Southwest Tech program requirements.
- Receive a passing grade of C in all program courses.
- Complete a minimum of 300 theory and practical hours of training.
- Curriculum & Costs
Cost of Attendance (COA) 23-24
Cost of Attendance (COA) is a total of all the usual expenses of being a student. The COA sets the maximum amount of financial aid a student can receive.
Category Amount Tuition and Fees $4,713 Living Expenses (Housing and Food) $9,614 Books and Supplies $2,061 Personal Expenses $2,245 Transportation $2,007 Charger Tech 360 Fee $600 Loan Fees $83 Yearly Total (Living Away from Home) $21,323 1 Semester Total (Living Away from Home) $10,662
Based on Wisconsin Residents.
Approximate school costs are for a full-time (12 credit) student over a semester span of 17 weeks.
Fees are legislated by the Wisconsin Technical College System Board.
These costs are estimates and are subject to change without notice.
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
- Admissions Preference Policy
Priority for program acceptance will be given in this order until January 1, 2024:
- Southwest Wisconsin Technical College District Residents (permanent address is in one of Southwest Tech’s 30 school districts the College serves) Southwest Tech District Information
- Non-District State Residents
- Out-of-State Residents
Helpful Academic Background
- NOTE: This program is not eligible for financial aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Apply safety and sanitation procedures
- Adhere to the current Wisconsin administrative codes and statutes for cosmetology
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills for success
- Perform nail services
- Develop strategies to market products and services
- Career Opportunities
A student taking the Nail Technician Program will need to take a state board exam to practice as a Manicurist. Career opportunities include:
- Nail Technology Instructor
- Product Educator
- Spa Services Specialist
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.