Jason Wood joined Southwest Tech as its sixth President on July 1, 2015.
Jason's academic career began with teaching Spanish and culture as he worked to complete an undergraduate degree. He taught high school Spanish and history while coaching basketball in rural north Idaho. Jason has experience in higher education as a recruitment coordinator, senior director of college preparation, branch campus dean, and as a chief student services officer at community colleges in Oregon. Jason came to Southwest Tech after serving as the Executive Vice President for Student and Academic Services at Central Wyoming College.
Since joining Southwest Tech, Jason has enjoyed learning from faculty and staff. Jason has engaged with students to learn how to paint the hood of a car, take dental impressions, and convert a digital photo to a painting. He has observed students programming electrical mechanical equipment, dissecting kidneys, and participating in public safety scenarios. Jason experienced his first manicure from students as well as allowed a student to draw his blood. Students also arranged an opportunity for Jason to do a Dementia Simulation which produced a great deal of awareness and empathy. Among the most interesting experiences was a ride-a-long with the Darlington city police to meet Hispanic business owners and potential students.
The college is currently focusing on increasing student access and improving student success; investing in fiscal sustainability through entrepreneurship; and enhancing the internal college culture. We emphasize quality communication through transparency, employee engagement through empowerment, and excellence through accountability. At Southwest Tech, we improve lives through excellence in learning.
In addition to church activities and community initiatives, Jason participates in many local organizations including: Wisconsin Technical College System Presidents Association; Grant County Economic Development; Kiwanis in Fennimore; and the Fennimore Economic Development Committee.
- Executive Vice President for Student and Academic Services, Central Wyoming College (Riverton, WY)
- Dean for Student Services, Klamath Community College (Klamath Falls, OR)
- Senior Director for College Preparatory Programs including Adult Basic Education, GED Preparation, Adult High School Diploma, Corrections Education, English as a Second Language, and college developmental classes at Blue Mountain Community College (Pendleton, OR)
- High School Spanish and History Teacher (Rathdrum, ID)
- Summer Crew Custodian and Facilities Attendant (Rathdrum, ID)
- Ph.D. in Community College Leadership from Oregon State University
- Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Idaho
- Bachelor of Art in Spanish with a minor in History from Brigham Young University
Jason's InformationJason's Staff Page
Kramer Building (Bldg 300), Room 301