The CNC program is being offered at the Platteville High School to high school students only! To find out more information and apply, please contact your guidance counselor or our Career Prep Coordinator, Mary Johannesen by Emailing Mary.
Today's advanced manufacturing businesses are looking for employees that have experience with tools, machines, and mechanicals.
As a student in the CNC Machine Operator/Programmer program, you'll learn to operate a variety of machine tools, setup, operate, and program CNC machines, read and analyze engineering drawings, and use precision measuring and inspection instruments.
The CNC Machine Operator/Programmer program is not accepting Applications at this time.
When the college resumes accepting applications for fall of 2022, the website will be updated.
Graduates of the CNC Machine Operator/Programmer program are employed as:
- CNC machinists
- Quality control inspector
- CNC Operator
- CNC programmers
- Field service representatives
Is This Program for You?
Students entering the CNC Machine Operator/Programmer program should:
- Have good reading and math skills.
- Have good hand-eye coordination.
- Pay attention to details and neatness.
- Have a mechanical aptitude.
- Enjoy researching technical information.
- Have good communication skills.
- Enjoy problem solving.
- Think creatively.
- Technical diploma
- Classes are offered daytime, face to face, and on campus
- Fall start
- Credit for prior learning may be available
- Curriculum & Costs
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application and $30 Application Fee
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Helpful Academic Background
- Math and science
- Written and oral communications
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
Students must have eye protection (safety glasses with side shields or wrap around safety glasses over prescription glasses) and must meet OSHA Z87.1 or greater while they are conducting operations that are deemed hazardous in nature. These glasses can be purchased at the College Bookstore.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Apply basic safety practices in the machine shop
- Interpret industrial/engineering drawings
- Apply precision measuring methods to part inspection
- Perform programming, set-up and operation of CNC machine tools
- Perform basic manual machine tool equipment set-up and operation
- Career Opportunities
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information on Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
At any time, you may Request Credit for Prior Learning.
CNC Machine Operator/Programmer Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options:
Course # Course TitleChallenge Exam
10-105-110 Computer Applications 31-420-320 Intro to Print Reading 31-420-322 Intro to Manual Mill 31-420-323 Intro to Manual Lathe 31-420-327 Intro to Surface Grinding 31-420-328 Intro to Mastercam Mill 2D 31-420-329 Advanced Manual Mill 31-420-330 Advanced Manual Lathe Machine 31-420-333 Intro to Mastercam Lathe 31-420-336 Basic CNC Operation Mill 31-420-337 Basic CNC Operation Lathe