Please use this form to submit a student employment application. This submission will route directly to our Business Office Staff and be time stamped upon submission.

We will contact you directly within 2 business days.

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required.

Student Information

The information below pertains to the student requesting or need of support from the Office of Disability Services.

Employment Information

* Employment wanted for:

You Must Choose Summer or School Year (Fall-Spring).

* Type of work desired (Please Check all that Apply):

You Must Choose A Requested Department.

Emergency Contact

In the case of an emergency, please notify the following individual:

Employment Conditions Agreement

Code of Responsibility for federal college work-study and Southwest Tech student employees: Our College is responsible for administering and maintaining confidentiality of student records in compliance with federal and state laws. As a work-study or student employee of our college, it is important for you to maintain the confidentiality of any information which you may have access to in the course of your employment. I understand and will comply with the requirements to maintain confidentiality of all information, whether written, verbal, electronic, on-line, which I may come to know as a result of my employment in this department or work-site. I understand that this includes but is not limited to, personal bio-demo records, academic records including grade point averages, majors; financial aid data files and student account information. Failure to comply with the above requirements will result in the dismissal from my job.

Southwest Wisconsin Technical College has an obligation to students and taxpayers to employ those who will maintain the quality of its services and whose contacts with the public will maintain public confidence. To achieve these objectives, the college may conduct investigations including the verification of prior employment, history, and education. By signing this application you authorize the college to make these investigations, and you indicate your awareness that false statements or failure to disclose information may be sufficient to disqualify you for employment, or if employed, may result in your dismissal. Southwest Tech does not discriminate in regard to race, color, creed, age, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Southwest Tech is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Final candidate’s employment offer will be subject to completion of a criminal background check.

You must agree to the terms and conditions.


General Questions

What is the federal work-study program? Work-study is a federally funded form of financial aid that is based on your financial need. Work-study dollars are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Students work in various positions, most are on-campus positions.

What if I do not complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form? Without this form, the Financial Aid Office cannot determine your eligibility for any aid program, including loans, grants, and work-study.

What are the eligibility requirements for the federal work-study program? At least a half-time credit load (6 credits or more) during the school year. (To be eligible for the federal work-study program.) Student Employees must carry at least one credit or more each semester during the school year. Maintain satisfactory academic progress while enrolled in college. Generally, this means a 2.0 GPA (grade point average) You must have a calculated need according to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Summer work-study students must be accepted in a program and plan to attend the upcoming Fall Semester.

Getting a Job.

How do I locate a job? There are many types of jobs available on our campus. Once you have completed this application, return it to the Financial Aid Office. Your skills are matched with the job listings on file. Students who have the qualifications, which match the job listings, will be referred to the supervisor of that job. One or more students may be referred for the same position. Supervisors will decide whom they wish to hire. Supervisors will then notify the Financial Aid Office of their choice. Students interviewed by more than one supervisor and selected by more than one shall be given their choice of work sites.

What do I do once I’ve been hired?

  1. Go to Human Resources to secure a work authorization, I-9, and tax information forms. Human Resources will assist you in the completion of these forms.
  2. Return all of the above to Human Resources. To complete authorization, you must present a state driver’s license and a social security card or birth certificate. You must do all of the above before you can begin work.

How many hours per week can I work? Work-study, Student employees, and tutors are limited to working a maximum of 29 hours per week for the summer and school year. Exceptions may be granted for short periods of time. During the school year, students on work-study and student employment are limited to the hours identified on their work authorizations that are set up prior to employment. In most cases, work-study students are limited to 8-10 hours during the school year. Sometimes students work in more than one department so please keep in mind that they not exceed 29 hours in total.

The Payroll System

Do I have to fill in a time sheet? Yes, you must complete a time sheet each pay period for the hours you’ve worked. In the summer and fall/spring students are paid twice a month. The time sheet is used by the Financial Aid Office to process your paycheck. Pink timesheets are used for the federal work-study students. Blue timesheets are used for student employment.

Where do I go to get my pay advice? Checks are electronically deposited to your checking or savings account. Contact Human Resources for instructions to receive pay advice.

How much will I make? Most jobs pay between $9 -$12 per hour.

What about taxes? You must complete the tax information forms that will be provided to you when you pick up your work authorization. You should refer questions about tax forms to the Business Office. You will be provided with W-2 earning statements for the previous calendar year in January.

What if I forget to hand in my time sheet on the due date? You will be paid the following payroll.

Summer Employment

Is student employment available in the summer? A small number of work-study awards are available in the summer. Most positions are about 20-29 hours per week. In the month of August, if needed, hours may be extended to exceed 29 hours per week.

How do I apply for summer work-study? Applications for summer work-study are available beginning April 1 at the Financial Aid Office. Students must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid form and have a financial need. Returning (2nd year) students will receive priority in assignment of positions.