Welcome to Southwest Tech’s Disability Services! This is a one-stop site where you can find helpful information related to disability services at Southwest Tech. We use an interactive process to create conditions that empower and support students with disabilities to reach their learning goals. Our mission is to ensure equal access to all programs at Southwest Wisconsin Technical College.
- Request Accomodations
Step 1: Submit an Accommodation Request Form
You can begin the accommodations process at any time by completing the accommodation request form.
Step 2: Provide Documentation
To qualify for academic accommodations, documentation a qualified professional is needed. This can be completed by attaching the documentation to the accommodation request form, faxing to 608-822-2673, emailing to email@example.com, or hand delivering to the Disability Services office in the Knox Learning Center.
Step 3: Attend an Intake Meeting
After the accommodation request form and documentation have been received, Disability Services will contact you to schedule an interactive intake meeting. Soon after, you will receive an email stating the approved accommodations. Accommodations begin following their approval and are not retroactive. Disability Services works collaboratively with students and faculty to implement accommodations.
Accommodation Changes or Renewal
Accommodations are valid for the fall, spring, and summer semesters of the academic year in which they are approved. You can renew your accommodations for the following academic year by attending a meeting with the Disability Services Specialist. If changes to your accommodations are needed while you are attending Southwest Tech, a new meeting can be scheduled at any time. You may be asked to submit new and/or additional information to support your request.
- What constitutes a disability?
- According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), a disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
- What kinds of accommodations are available to students with disabilities?
- SWTC Disability Services strives to provide equal access to programs and facilities. Reasonable accommodations are based on an individual’s disability and how it affects him or her. Reasonable accommodations may include, but are not limited to, textbooks in alternate formats (Ebooks, large print, audio, braille), testing accommodations, sign language interpreting, adaptive technology, and note-taking assistance.
- Are these accommodations available for placement tests such as the Accuplacer?
- Yes. You will need to complete an Accommodation Request Form and submit documentation of your disability to the Disability Services Office prior to scheduling your placement test. Once both have been submitted, you will be contacted by Disability Services to discuss your request and schedule your test.
- Do I have to use my approved accommodations for all of my classes?
- No. You get to decide when and if you will use your accommodations. You may find you don’t need accommodations for every class.
- Do I need to make a new request for accommodations each year?
- Yes. Accommodations are valid for the fall, spring, and summer semesters of the academic year in which they are approved. You can renew your accommodations for the next year by attending a meeting with the Disability Services Specialist.
- What if I need additional accommodations?
- If changes to your accommodations are needed while you are attending Southwest Tech, a meeting can be scheduled with Disability Services at any time. You may be asked to submit new and/or additional information.
- Does Disability Services provide tutoring services for students with learning disabilities?
- Tutoring services are available to all Southwest Tech students free of charge, including students with disabilities. Disability Services is happy to assist students in accessing tutoring services.
- Helpful Resources