Mission & Vision
The purpose of the Southwest Tech Student Veterans Club is to provide a network of support to military veterans, their families and civilian supporters; secondly, to educate the community about the experiences of military veterans and work with the college administration to meet the needs of student veterans and prospective student veterans; thirdly, to cultivate student veterans concerns through scheduled meetings, advocacy, social and recreational activities; and finally, to foster esprit de corps (a feeling of pride, fellowship, and common loyalty shared by the members) amongst student veterans and promote an understanding of student veterans issues.
The goals and activities of the Student Veterans Club will consist of the following:
- Develop a resource guide that includes all forms, documents, lists of service organizations and contact information useful for veterans, prospective veterans and their families.
- Provide a peer support network for student veterans and their families.
- Educate the college community about the experiences of student veterans through presentations and other related events/activities.
- Work with the college administration to meet the needs of student veterans.
- Collaborate with professors to provide student veterans the opportunity to speak to classes.
- Provide services for disabled veterans.
- Provide outreach programs to potential student veterans.
- Work with the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, Veterans Service Organizations, and other military associations to provide information for student veterans and their families.
- Facilitate communication for Counseling, Advising, & Program Services and prepare them to handle the needs of potential student veterans.
- Attend/participate in campus and local military recognition events and programs (Veterans Day, Memorial Day, etc.).
- Create an environment and/or space that would assist in fostering comaraderie amongst our veteran students; as well as provide a safe haven or refuge to those veterans who may be having trouble adapting to student life and/or difficulties with service connected disabilities.
- Become a charter of the Student Veterans of America.