Graduation is a time to celebrate accomplishments, share successes, and start a new chapter in your life! See below for graduation requirements, how to prepare for graduation and ceremony details/instructions. Reminder: You must fill out your Program Completion Application on your MySWTC in order to receive your diploma, even if you are not participating in the ceremony.
Spring Commencement Information
Saturday May 19, 2018
Ag/Auto Center (Building 1700)
Nursing Pinning: 8:30 a.m.
Nursing, Business, Management, & General Studies and GED/HSED: 10 a.m.
Industry, Trades & Agriculture: 12 p.m.
Health (Except Nursing) Education and Public Safety: 2 p.m.
See here for a list of programs by ceremony.
General Ceremony Information
- Ceremony will last approximately 1 hour. Guests may arrive 30 minutes prior to the ceremony they are attending.
- Open Seating-no tickets required.
- We expect to accommodate 5 guests per student.
- A professional photographer will take photos as students receive diploma and a still shot in front of a backdrop.
- There is a reception after the ceremony on the Cafeteria- Graduates, guests and staff are welcomed to celebrate the graduates' accomplishments!
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduation Requirements
- In order to receive your diploma, whether or not you are participating in the graduation ceremony, you must fill out your Program Completion Application on your MySWTC.
- You are required to meet certain criteria in order to earn a degree, diploma or certificate from Southwest Tech. You must have:
- Fulfilled at least 25 percent of your program requirements while enrolled at Southwest Tech.
- Preformed to an acceptable level by maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. Some programs have a higher standard, requiring students to earn no lower than a "C" grade in every course.
- Met all financial obligations including childcare bills, library charges, Payments/Billing Office bills (tuition), bookstore charges, and part charges. Failure to meet these obligations will put a hold on your transcript and diploma.
- High Honor Status
- A graduate who completes all the required courses in his/her associate degree or technical diploma program and achieves a program cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above will graduate with high honor status. The program cumulative GPA for the term prior to graduation will be used to determine high honors. Participation in the graduation ceremony is required to receive a high honor cord, which the recipient may keep. The student will receive gold cords to be worn during the commencement program. Cumulative GPA is not rounded in determining eligibility for high honors. For example, a 3.49 GPA is not rounded to 3.5. Students that do not have prior term grades and/or students enrolled in one semester programs are not eligible for commencement ceremony high honor status. Southwest Tech transcripts prior to the 2002 year will not be calculated into program cumulative GPA in determining commencement ceremony high honor status.
- Preparation for Graduation
Caps/Gowns, Hoods and Stoles:
- Caps, gowns, Veteran’s cords, and tassels will be available in Student Services beginning the Monday before Graduation. We will send an email if they are available for early distribution. Note: Do not decorate your graduation cap or gown.
- If you are interested in ordering announcements, cards, or class rings, please check out Jostens for a variety of options.
- Associate Degree hoods, Honor Cords, and Phi Theta Kappa stoles are provided for no additional cost and will be handed out the day of the ceremony.
- If you would like to purchase a Phi Theta Kappa stole, you may go to the Phi Theta Kappa Online Store or call 800.946.9996. If you have any questions about Phi Theta Kappa, please contact Lori Garvey.
Empire Photography has been photographing our commencement ceremonies for many years. Each graduate is photographed as they receive their diploma and a solo portrait is also taken after they exit the stage. Proofs will be sent to graduates and their families within 48 hours of the ceremony. Click on the link below to preregister your email address so you can receive your complimentary proofs quickly. Your commencement is a once-in-a-lifetime moment so don't miss out! If you have any questions, please email Empire Photography at email@example.com.
Graduation proofs will be available through Empire Photography.
- Graduation Day
General Ceremony Information
- The Ceremony will last approximately one hour.
- Guests may arrive 30 minutes prior to the ceremony they are attending.
- Open seating: tickets are not required. There is designated seating for graduates. If students or guests need a special accommodation, contact Southwest Tech's Support Services Specialist at 608.822.2631.
- We generally expect to accommodate approximately five guests per graduate.
- A celebratory reception for graduates, guests, and Southwest Tech staff will follow each ceremony in the cafeteria.
Instructions for Spring Graduates
- Arrive on campus 45 minutes prior to the ceremony your program is participating in.
- Meet in the lounge area of the Ag/Auto Building (inside the main door) to review graduation ceremony procedures, pick up name cards, honor and/or veteran cords, Associate Degree hoods, Phi Theta Kappa stoles, and line up for the ceremony.
- Associate degree hoods and Phi Theta Kappa Stoles must be returned to the Student Services Reception Desk or Room 1709 (where you picked them up before the ceremony) in order to avoid a $25 charge.
- Name Cards- Each student will receive a card with his/her name, program, and high honor designation (as earned) printed on the card, which you will hand to the announcer as you cross the stage.
- You will receive an empty diploma cover; diplomas will be mailed to you.
- After Graduation
- Access your grades on your MySWTC account. Grades should be available to you one to two weeks after the semester ends.
- Your diploma will be mailed to the address listed on your Program Completion Application within 4-6 weeks of graduation.
- Dean’s List- The Dean's List is made up of students enrolled in associate degree and technical diploma programs who have completed 12 or more credits during the semester and earned a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher for the semester (non-cumulative). Honors are not awarded to students who have an “I,” “IP,” or “F” grade on their semester transcript
- 2017 Fall Dean's List by Name , by Community
- Empire Photography has been photographing our commencement ceremonies for many years. Each graduate is photographed as they receive their diploma and a solo portrait is also taken after they exit the stage. Proofs will be sent to graduates and their families within 48 hours of the ceremony. Click on the link below to preregister your email address so you can receive your complimentary proofs quickly. Your commencement is a once-in-a-lifetime moment so don't miss out! If you have any questions, please email Empire Photography at firstname.lastname@example.org. Graduation proofs are available at www.teamphotonetwork.com.
- Please stay in touch with Southwest Tech!
- Like us on Facebook to see graduation photos and videos!
- Find out about alumni events by staying connected. Please email your current information and success stories to email@example.com.
- Remember that Career Connections is here for students and alumni to assist with all of your job searching needs (resumes, cover letters, interview skills and job searching).
- Job Out Option
Students who have secured employment related to their program may "job out" with instructor approval. This allows these students to be employed while concurrently completing course requirements. Requests are evaluated case by case, and the following guidelines must be observed:
- All pertinent forms and course completion requirements must be finalized between student and instructor, who may request confirmation of an employment offer with the employer.
- Students are excused from class attendance but not from completing class assignments.
- Jobbing out cannot occur until the last four weeks before graduation.
- Complete the following Job Out Form