Currently Southwest Tech is not accepting new students into this program. Please consider the Agribusiness Science & Technology - Animal Science program.
A Livestock Tech program prepares you to select, breed and care for beef, hogs and small ruminants.
You will learn:
- Basic nutrition for livestock
- Artificial Insemination of cattle
- Basic Reproduction
- Basic Animal Health
Is This Program for You?
The program includes learning outcomes tied to: farm animal reproduction, animal nutrition, herd health, meat quality, feed and forage production, livestock housing and equipment, and product marketing.
Students entering the Farm Operations & Management - Livestock Tech program should:
- Enjoy working with animals.
- Enjoy working outside in all types of weather.
- Manage their time effectively.
- Be willing to work hard and learn.
- Have good reading skills.
- Have good communication skills.
- Technical Diploma – requiring a minimum of one year to complete
- Classes are offered daytime, face to face, and on campus
- Fall or Spring Start
- Credit for prior learning may be available
- High school articulation courses accepted
- Agribusiness Science & Technology – Agribusiness Management
- Agribusiness Science & Technology - Agronomy
- Agribusiness Science & Technology - Agronomy Technician
- Agribusiness Science & Technology – Animal Science
- Agribusiness Science & Technology - Applicator Technician
- Farm Operations & Management - Ag Mechanics
- Farm Operations & Management – Dairy
- Farm Operations & Management – Dairy Technician
- Farm Operations & Management - Farm Ag Maintenance
- Farm Operations & Management - Livestock
- Farm Operations & Management - Livestock Tech
- Farm Operations & Management - Reproduction Technician
- Curriculum & Costs
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Helpful Academic Background
- High school agriculture
- Communication skills
- Math courses
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
Students must have eye wear protection (safety glasses with side shields or wrap around safety glasses over prescription glasses) and must meet OSHA Z87.1 or greater while they are conducting operations that are deemed hazardous in nature. These glasses can be purchased at the College Bookstore.
At the completion of this program, students are expected to be able to:
- Analyze opportunities in agriculture
- Apply relevant technologies
- Demonstrate professionalism skills within the agricultural career areas
- Manage livestock
- Career Opportunities
Graduates of the program will be qualified to manage production agriculture operations with a focus on livestock. The demand in this field is expected to remain high for several years in such jobs as:
- Assistant Herdsperson for Livestock Operations
- Artificial Insemination
- Assistant Animal Health and Care Specialist
- Feed Mixer for animal operations
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information on Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
At any time, you may Request Credit for Prior Learning.
Farm Operations & Management - Livestock Tech Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options:
Course # Course TitleChallenge Exam
10-006-121 Agribusiness Computer Applications 10-006-147 Meat Quality If Portfolio is approved, Challenge Exam will be administered. 10-006-150 Farm Animal Reproduction AI Ceritification 10-006-152 Animal Selection & Improvement - Livestock Artificial Insemination Certication 10-006-180 Animal Science 31-804-305 Applied Mathematics College Mathematics CLEP Test would also be accepted.