What is Experiential Credit?
- Credit can be awarded for college level learning and/or skill
- Learning that occurred in life and/or work experiences
- Learning that occurred prior to or outside a formal academic institution
How to earn credit
- CLEP Testing
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) helps students receive college credit for what they already know, for a fraction of the cost of a college course. Find out which CLEP Exams are accepted at Southwest Tech or schedule an appointment.
- Test Out
If a CLEP test is not available for a specific course, students may receive advance standing for knowledge and competencies obtained through prior education and/or work experience. Students must register for the class they wish to test out of prior to testing out. Contact a Southwest Tech Advisor to learn more.
- Test Passed: A 40% test out fee is charged to the student's account. (This is in addition to the full tuition already billed.)
- Test Not Passed: A 40% test out fee is charged to the student's account. (This is in addition to the full tuition already billed.)
Once accepted into a program, students may also earn transfer credits for their experiences through an Experiential Learning Portfolio by enrolling in the one credit Portfolio course. Students create a portfolio of experiences, education, training and other learning gained outside the classroom. Credit will be awarded if the student can show 80% of the competencies have been achieved. Contact your Southwest Tech Advisor to learn more.