HESI is a computerized exam given to students going into the Nursing - Associate Degree, Medical Lab Technician, or Physical Therapist Assistant program to determine academic readiness.
HESI Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to take the HESI?
- Students applying for admission to Southwest Tech's Nursing (Associate Degree), Medical Laboratory Technician, and Physical Therapist Assistant programs must take the HESI, except for students that have earned a Bachelor's Degree.
- What does the test cover?
The following subtests make up the HESI test:
- Reading Comprehension – Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. ~ 47 questions
- Vocabulary & General Knowledge – Contains vocabulary terminology that is used commonly in both general English speaking and in the health care fields. ~ 50 questions
- Grammar – Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc. ~ 50 questions
- Basic Math Skills – Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio, and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc. ~ 50 questions (Nursing-Associate Degree and Medical Lab Tech students only)
- Chemistry – Contains test items that cover matter, chemical equations and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding, etc. ~ 25 questions (Medical Lab Technician students only)
- Anatomy & Physiology - Measures a student's understanding of anatomical structures, systems and general terminology. ~ 25 Questions (Nursing-Associate Degree and Physical Therapist Assistant students only)
- Can I prepare for the test?
- Southwest Tech has HESI Study Guides available in the bookstore.
- How long does the testing take?
- The time limit for HESI is 4 hours, but most students finish in 2 to 3 hours.
- Is there a charge for testing?
- HESI is $40 for the full test and $40 for a retest on any portion(s).
- Do I need to bring anything for testing?
- A valid photo I.D. is required for testing. Pencils, scratch paper, and calculators are furnished for testing.
- When will I find out what my test scores are?
- Students will receive their HESI results and a copy of their score report immediately upon the completion of testing.
- What are the required scores for the HESI?
Nursing-Associate Degree Requirements: Reading Comprehension 75% Grammar 75% Vocabulary & General Knowledge 75% Math Skills 75% Anatomy & Physiology 50% Physical Therapist Assistant Requirements: Reading Comprehension 75% Grammar 75% Vocabulary & General Knowledge 75% Anatomy & Physiology 50% Medical Laboratory Technician Requirements: Reading Comprehension 75% Grammar 75% Vocabulary & General Knowledge 75% Math Skills 75% Chemistry 50%
- Can I retest on the HESI?
- Students can retest once per calendar year, not within 30 days of the original test.
- What if I need accommodations for testing?
- Students with disabilities, who need accommodations, should contact the office of the Support Services Specialist, Building 100, Room 108, 608.822.2631, TTY/TDD 608.822.2072, or e-mail email@example.com.