The Accounting Assistant program trains students in basic accounting for sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations. Students also study income tax preparation for individuals, payroll accounting, and computerized accounting. They can then choose to specialize in business taxation or business spreadsheet applications.
Accounting Assistant graduates may work in a small business and be responsible for various aspects of bookkeeping, or work in a larger firm under the supervision of an accountant, and specialize in a certain area.
Is This Program for You?
Good analytical skills and the ability to work independently will give you a good start in the Accounting Assistant program. If you are adaptable, energetic, organized, detail-oriented and a good communicator, you may thrive in today's accounting profession.
Students entering the Accounting Assistant program should:
- Enjoy working with detail.
- Have a background or interest in mathematics, communications, and accounting.
- Like system and order.
- Technical diploma - one year or more to complete.
- Day and evening classes.
- Available in Face-to-face and online class formats.
- High school articulation courses accepted.
- Financial aid available.
- Classes start in August or January.
- Associate degree accounting program can be completed in one additional year.
- Modified plan available.
Related Degrees & Certificates
- Curriculum & Costs
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application and $30 Application Fee
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Helpful Academic Background
- Good math skills
- High school accounting
- Consumer math
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Process financial transactions throughout the accounting cycle
- Analyze basic financial and business information to support planning and decision-making
- Perform payroll preparation, reporting, and analysis tasks
- Career Pathway
Career Pathways offer new ways to achieve your education goals. Instead of studying just one program, the Career Pathways model links related academic programs in a sequence. Each program offers direct job preparation AND a path to the next higher academic program.
- Career Opportunities
Employment prospects for accounting assistants are always good, with graduates finding employment in a wide range of business settings. Their education in the operation of high-tech office equipment and general office procedures meet present and future needs of today's office. Graduates are finding jobs in a variety of areas such as:
- Account Clerk
- Office Assistant
- Tax Accountant
- Payroll Accountant
- Accounts Receivable/Payable Clerk
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information or to request Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
Accounting Assistant Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options:
Course # Course Title Challenge Exam
CLEP Credential Portfolio 10-101-111 Accounting 1 CLEP Test - Financial Accounting 10-103-105 Beginning Microsoft Word 10-103-106 Beginning Microsoft Excel Any Microsoft MOUS certification (even an old certification) will also be considered for CPL 10-103-118 Intermediate Microsoft Excel Any Microsoft MOUS certification (even an old certification) will also be considered for CPL 10-801-195 Written Communication College Composition CLEP test would also be accepted for credit. However, the challenge exam is the preferred method. 10-801-196 Oral/Interpersonal Communication 10-804-123 Math with Business Applications