Is This Program for You?
Do you have a love for style, enjoy helping others enhance their appearance and look their best, and enjoy working closely with the public? If you are also friendly, outgoing, and creative, then a career in Cosmetology may be a perfect fit.
*High passing rate of State Board Licensing Exam
* One-on-one instructor interaction
* Kit included in registration fees that includes everything you will need to start your own business
* Opportunity to join the Cosmo Club
* Amazing out of classroom experiences: Fieldtrip to Chicago Midwest Beauty Show and high-end salons, and exclusive job shadows with Southwest Tech partners
* Real life experience and learning in the Creative Elements Salon - check us out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CreativeElementsSalon/
Students must complete 1550 hours of classroom instruction to meet the requirements of Southwest Wisconsin Technical College and the State of Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS).
If you want to work in Wisconsin, get licensed in Wisconsin. Make the transition from graduate to licensed Cosmetologist in Wisconsin easy.
Students entering the Cosmetology program should:
- Enjoy working closely with the public.
- Be friendly, outgoing, concerned for other people, and creative.
- Have good communication skills.
- Work well with others.
- Technical diploma requiring three semesters or more to complete.
- Financial aid available.
- Special equipment and uniforms required.
- Opportunities to attend professional salon, beauty, and fashion shows.
Cosmetology students must achieve a grade of C or better in each of the 502 program area courses to be eligible to progress from Semester 1 to Semester 2 and from Semester 2 into Semester 3. Students should check with instructor for updated regulations for taking the state Cosmetology licensure exam.
To graduate from this program and be eligible to take the state licensing examination, each student must:
- Successfully meet all Southwest Tech program requirements.
- Receive a passing grade of C in all program courses.
- Complete a minimum of 1550 theory and practical hours of training.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Conduct professional consultations/analysis.
- Prepare hair and scalp for services.
- Perform basic nail technology services.
- Complete hair cut services.
- Perform barbering techniques.
- Provide permanent chemical restructuring services.
- Create hair styling designs.
- Apply hair color using various techniques.
- Conduct skin care services.
- Demonstrate professional ethics.
- Follow safety and sanitation.
- Demonstrate salon management skills.
- Follow state rules and regulations.
- Use effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate product knowledge.
This program prepares graduates for licensing as a Cosmetology Practitioner (hair designer). A student taking the Nail Technology Certificate training will need to take a state board exam to practice as a Manicurist. A Cosmetology student can automatically practice all nail services that a Manicurist performs under the Cosmetology License.
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information or to request Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
Cosmetology Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options:
|10-890-101||Professional Development Seminar||X|