Permanent semester grades are used to compute grade point average (GPA). A cumulative GPA includes all credits completed at Southwest Tech.

Students may view their grades electronically on MySWTC.

To calculate a semester GPA, first multiply the credit value of a course by the point value of the grade earned. The total number of points earned for the semester is then divided by the total number of credits taken in that semester.

Example: A student completes four courses in a semester. The GPA is 3.42 (41 divided by 12).


A student who has not dropped a course and has never attended a course is not automatically dropped. A student who has never attended and/or stops attending a course without officially withdrawing from the course will receive an "F" in the course at the end of the grading period.

Credit Loads

Students may carry up to 20 credits per semester without written approval from their division dean. A minimum of 12 degree credits is required to be a full-time student.

Dean's List

The Dean's List is made up of students enrolled in associate degree and technical diploma programs who have completed 12 or more credits during the semester and earned a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher for the semester (non-cumulative). Honors are not awarded to students who have an "I," "IP," or "F" grade on their semester transcript


Students may receive periodic progress reports; however, midterm evaluations are informational only. Semester grades are entered on a student’s permanent record and used to compute grade point average. Students may review grades electronically on MySWTC.

Academic Probation & Denial Policy

Program students who do not achieve a minimum term GPA of 2.0 are placed on academic probation for the following term and are counseled to enroll in college prep courses, take a reduced load, or change programs. Students on probation who do not attain a term GPA of 2.0 by the end of their probationary term will be placed on Academic Denial and dropped from their program and courses. Courses prior to 2002 will not be used towards academic probation and denial.

Grade Change Procedures

Questions about a course grade that appear in a final grade report should immediately be brought to the attention of the instructor. Grade dispute procedures can be found in this handbook under the Academic Code of Conduct.

Grade Reports & Grade Point Average

Students are able to review their grades and GPA electronically on their MySWTC. Final semester grades are used to calculate grade point average (GPA) each term. A cumulative GPA includes all credits completed at Southwest Tech (including high school transcripted credit).

  • Grade Point Average
  • The following is an example of how GPA is calculated:

    Grade Course Credit Grade Point Value Total Points Earned
    A 3.0 4 12 (3.0 * 4)
    B 1.0 3 3 (1.0 * 3)
    C 3.0 2 6 (3.0 * 2)
    A 5.0 4 20 (5.0 * 4)
    Totals 12.0 41

    Final GPA calculation: 41 / 12.0 = 3.417

  • Grade Table
  • Grade / Status Grade Point Explanatory Words For Each Credit
    A Excellent 4
    B Above Average 3
    C Average 2
    D Below Average 1
    F Failing 0
    P Passing 0
    I Incomplete Work 0
    S Satisfactory 0
    U Unsatisfactory 0
    W Withdrawal 0
    X Audit 0
    N Narrative (written evaluation on file) 0
    T Transfer Credit 0
  • Definitions
  • Pass. This is used when a student has made satisfactory progress but a grad is not required (e.g. taking a math class to be accepted into college). Courses in which a "P" is earned cannot be used to meet program requirements.

    Incomplete. An Incomplete "I" grade may be assigned, at the discretion of the instructor, if a student encountered extenuating circumstances, which prevented completion of the course by the time the course has ended. The student must be passing the course at the time of the request and must have minimal course requirements to complete. The instructor may approve/disapprove the request. If approved, the student can be allowed additional time up to the end of the following semester, excluding summer, to complete the course requirements. (If an incomplete is granted for a fall semester course, the student must complete requirements by the end of the spring semester. For a spring or summer semester course, the student must complete requirements by the end of the fall semester). The instructor must submit an Incomplete Grade form with the ‘I’ grade outlining the requirements and deadline for completion (the student will also receive a copy). It is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements to fulfill all course requirements. If not completed in the designated timeframe, a grade of "F" or "U" will automatically be assigned.

    Withdrawal. Withdrawal applies to courses that students drop after the official refund period expires. A student withdraws from a course by notifying Student Services in writing or in person and completing the required withdrawal form. This process can be completed by telephone in special circumstances. The official withdrawal date is the date these procedures are completed. Students who want to withdraw from courses should be mindful that no credit will be issued and a "W" (withdrawal) will appear on their transcript. Withdrawals are not accepted if less than twenty percent of a course remains. (For courses less than one semester long, withdrawal must occur prior to the last ten percent of the course.) Students who leave the College without officially withdrawing may receive failing grades. Further, students who receive financial aid should consult with the Financial Aid Office concerning continued financial aid eligibility.

    Audit. A student who desires to review a subject or obtain a general understanding of it may enroll in the course as an audit. The auditing student must complete a registration form and pay the same tuition as students registering for credit. Audited courses appear as an "X" on permanent student records and have no grade points associated with them. Hence, they are not figured into grade point average calculations. In addition, audited courses do not count toward credit load or program requirements, or for financial aid. The normal refund policies apply. A student who initially audits a course may not later seek credit. However, a student may change from credit to audit if ten percent or more of the course remains. (For courses less than one semester long, a student must change from credit to Changing from credit to audit may affect financial aid status.

    Narrative. An "N" designates that a student has attempted to complete required course work but for reasons identified by the Disability Services Specialist could not do so. The narrative appears in a student's record and states what the student was able to accomplish in the course.

    Repeat Course. Any student may register and pay fees to repeat a course. When a course is repeated, only the highest grade earned is used to calculate grade point average. All grades for that course will appear on the student's transcript, however.

    Scholastic Probation. Full-time students (12 or more credits) who do not achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 are placed on scholastic probation for the following grade period and are counseled to enroll in remedial courses, take a reduced load, or change programs. Students on probation who do not attain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 by the end of their probationary period may be dropped from their program. Approval from the division dean is then required for these students to be readmitted to their former program or to a new program.