Train to become a security professional. As a student in the Security Operations program, you will learn to protect, patrol, or monitor areas to prevent theft, violence, or violations of rules.
Graduates are ready for careers as security guards and protective service workers. Job tasks may include documenting, recording information, getting information, and working directly with the public.
Is This Program for You?
Do you enjoy working with and assisting members of the public? Are you a problem solver with a strong attention to detail? Answering “Yes” could mean that a challenging and rewarding career awaits you in the Security field.
Students entering Security Operations program should:
- Enjoy problem solving.
- Think creatively.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Have good communication skills.
- Be detail-oriented.
- Technical diploma
- Classes are offered daytime, face to face, and on campus
- Fall Start
Related Degrees & Certificates
- Curriculum & Costs
Cost of Attendance (COA) 23-24
Cost of Attendance (COA) is a total of all the usual expenses of being a student. The COA sets the maximum amount of financial aid a student can receive.
Category Amount Tuition and Fees $4,713 Living Expenses (Housing and Food) $9,614 Books and Supplies $2,061 Personal Expenses $2,245 Transportation $2,007 Charger Tech 360 Fee $600 Loan Fees $83 Yearly Total (Living Away from Home) $21,323 1 Semester Total (Living Away from Home) $10,662
Based on Wisconsin Residents.
Approximate school costs are for a full-time (12 credit) student over a semester span of 17 weeks.
Fees are legislated by the Wisconsin Technical College System Board.
These costs are estimates and are subject to change without notice.
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
- Admissions Preference Policy
Priority for program acceptance will be given in this order until January 1, 2024:
- Southwest Wisconsin Technical College District Residents (permanent address is in one of Southwest Tech’s 30 school districts the College serves) Southwest Tech District Information
- Non-District State Residents
- Out-of-State Residents
Helpful Academic Background
- Social Sciences
- Written and oral communications
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Identify and respond to security threats
- Assist with planning functions
- Respond to emergencies
- Communicate with members of the public in variety of situations
- Conduct risk assessments and site security surveys
- Conduct investigations
- Assist in the implementation of plans, policies and procedures
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information on Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
At any time, you may Request Credit for Prior Learning.
Security Operations Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options: