720 Hour Law Enforcement Academy: JANUARY 15 - JULY 19, 2024
This (720) hour Law Enforcement Academy is designed for those seeking a law enforcement career in the State of Wisconsin. Southwest Tech’s premier Academy delivers the criteria established by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, Training and Standards Bureau. The training instructors are a combination of educators and active or retired law enforcement officers. The training is delivered via lecture, group discussion, hands-on exercises, and scenario participation.
Completion of the Law Enforcement Academy makes you eligible for Law Enforcement certification in the State of Wisconsin.
Please verify that you have met the following minimum qualifications as set forth in Wisconsin State Statute and Chapter LES 2, of Wisconsin Administrative Code:
- I am a citizen of The United States of America.
- I am or will be at least 18 years of age by the completion of training.
- I possess a valid Wisconsin driver's license or such other valid operator's permit recognized by the Wisconsin DOT as authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in Wisconsin.
- I possess a general educational development diploma or am a high school graduate who has completed a secondary education program through a public school, private school, an equivalency diploma program, or home education program within the United States or its territories.
- I have earned at least 60 associate degree level college credits or higher, or an associate degree or higher from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the US Department of Education. Completing Southwest Tech's Criminal Justice Studies associate degree fulfills this requirement. (Law enforcement and tribal law enforcement officers who do not meet this requirement at the time of employment, have 5 years from their date of employment to meet this requirement.)
- I have not been convicted of a federal felony, or of any offense which if committed in Wisconsin could be punished as a felony, and has not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (18 U.S.C. §922(g)(9)), or I have been granted an absolute and unconditional pardon.
The cost of the Law Enforcement Academy is approximately $5000 + First Responder and CPR books + uniforms.
2024 Academy Timeline
- Applications Open: June 1, 2023
- Application Closes for
- Certification Track: August 31, 2023
- Pre-Service & Hired: October 23, 2023
- Fitness Test: October 27, 2023 with retakes TBD (if needed)
- Oral Interviews: November 17, 2023
- Mandatory Academy Orientation: January 15, 2024
- Anticipated Academy Start Date: January 29, 2024
- Anticipated Academy End Date: July 18, 2024
Steps for Entering The Law Enforcement Academy
Submit Application and Documents
Deadline to apply is October 23, 2023.
Take the Mandatory Fitness Test
Mandatory Fitness test: dates will be October 27, 2023. Students must register and attend one of these dates. Registration information will be coming soon.
Schedule Your Interview
Interviews will take place on Friday, November 17, 2023 at Southwest Tech's Public Safety Complex, Room 2008 in Fennimore.
Complete National FBI Background Check
Students who have successfully passed the interview and physical fitness test will be sent written instructions on how to complete the national FBI background check.
A finalized academy schedule will be provided at orientation. Classes will run Monday through Friday with approximately 80% of the classes being held during the day and 20% in the evenings. Classes will be held at the Southwest Tech Public Safety Complex in Fennimore, and/or the Southwest Tech Platteville Outreach Site.
The Law Enforcement 720 Academy is designed to lead to a license for Law Enforcement Officer in the state of Wisconsin. More licensure information can be found on the Program Accreditations and Licensure page.
Comments from Academy Graduates:
"I liked the small class sizes and the Instructors who have a passion for their jobs."
"The Academy Instructors are all very knowledgeable, it just made me want to spend as much time with them as possible and learn everything I could."
"I appreciated the competency of the Instructional Staff and their passion for the topics they taught. Plus the firsthand knowledge and experience of the subject matter, which makes learning it that much more enjoyable too."